Pastor Lonnie Phillips
As I sit here today, I have been reminded of God's word which says, "Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight. (Isaiah 5:20-21)"
Who determines what is good and what is evil? Do you and I determine these things? In our society today the belief is that no one has the right to tell another what is evil or good and to do so would be to judge and show a lack of love. Do we dare name sin today, especially if it is part of the majority?
Society has some strong things to say on some important issues:
1) It is okay and even encouraged for two people to have sex before marriage.
2) It is better for the man and woman to live together so that they can first determine if they are combatible before marriage.
3) Viewing pornography can benefit or enhance your sex life.
4) Homosexual feelings are normal and should be embraced and not denied.
5) Evolution is the only plausible explaination to how we came into being.
6) Abortion is a woman's right to choose what to do with her body.
7) There are many ways to God and no one will perish in hell.
8) In a progressive society if you are not tolerant and embracing of peoples choices you are a bigot.
9) Follow your heart and it will not lead you astray.
10) My pursuit of happiness is the highest good.
To follow Jesus Christ, who is the Truth, is to be a disciple and surrender to what God declares to be good and to renounce and repent of what God declares to be evil. The question then becomes, what does God have to say about these things that society is calling good and am I ready and willing to fully surrender to His ways instead of my ways? (2 Timothy 3)